My Life as An Integer Story

In this project-based assignment, we have incorporated our math abilities with our writing abilities. We have written stories describing where we see integers in our own lives. Our stories include all the operations: addition, subtraction, multiplication and division.


Massachusetts State Standards:


GENERAL STANDARD 19: Writing

19.16 Write brief research reports with clear focus and supporting detail.

19.17 Write a short explanation of a process that includes a topic statement, supporting details, and a conclusion.


GRADES 5–6 LEARNING STANDARDS: Number Sense and Operations

6.N.6 Find and position integers (both positive and negative) on the number line.
6.N.7 Compare and order integers (including negative integers)

6.N.9 Select and use appropriate operations to solve problems involving addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, and positive integer exponents with whole numbers

6.N.13 Accurately and efficiently add, subtract, multiply, and divide (with double-digit divisors) whole numbers.

6.N.15 Add and subtract integers, with the exception of subtracting negative integers.

ENGLISH LANGUAGE PROFICIENCY BENCHMARKS AND OUTCOMES FOR ENGLISH LANGUAGE LEARNERS

  • Understands words and phrases of grade-level academic content, including technical and abstract terms. (S.1.25)

  • Creates media production using images, text, sound, and/or graphics. (W.5.13)

  • Writes short accounts of personal or familiar experiences, including academic topics. (W.2.7a)

  • Writes brief research reports with clear focus and supporting detail. (W.2.8f)

  • Participates in classroom discussion and other academic interactions using basic and and complex sentence structures (S.3.65)




Essential Question:

Essential Question:
What are integers and where can we find them in our daily lives?

Monday, June 20, 2011

Three Integer Stories


Junk Food Story

One day I went to the store to buy junk food. I had $15 and I bought 5 bags of chips, each cost a dollar so in total it was $5. Then I got 5 bags of starbursts and each cost $1and it was $5, afterward I bought 3 beef patties and each cost $1.50 and it was $4.50. To find my total I added $5+$5=$10 then I added $10+$4.50=$14.50, so I gave my $15 dollars to the store owner and he gave me back .50 cents and that was the time I use addition.

The Time I Bet

One time I bet with my friend that if the Celtics won he had to give me $3 dollars and if the other team won and the Celtics lost I have to give him $3 dollars. Then the Celtics lost by 7 points so I had to give him my $3 dollars so then he had $6. Then we bet if the Celtics won he had to give me my $3 dollars back, so the next game came and the Celtics won, so he had to give me my $3 dollars back. It was the same thing as subtraction and addition because he had 3 dollars and I gave my 3 dollars to him, so in total it was 6 dollars. Then I won the bet so he had to give me my 3 dollars back. That was the time I use subtraction and addition in my lifetime.
Piggy Bank

Another time when I use integer was when I check my piggy bank. I wanted to save $100. It took me 10 months to reach my goal. I wondered how much on average I had saved each month, so I divided $100 by $10 and got $10. I must have saved about $10 for 10 months.

Cookies

I went to the super market with my mom and bought a pack of cookies.
So I wanted know how much cookies are in the squared pack so I multiply the length times the width and that was the time I use multiplication in my life time.

9 comments: