My Life as An Integer Story

In this project-based assignment, we have incorporated our math abilities with our writing abilities. We have written stories describing where we see integers in our own lives. Our stories include all the operations: addition, subtraction, multiplication and division.


Massachusetts State Standards:


GENERAL STANDARD 19: Writing

19.16 Write brief research reports with clear focus and supporting detail.

19.17 Write a short explanation of a process that includes a topic statement, supporting details, and a conclusion.


GRADES 5–6 LEARNING STANDARDS: Number Sense and Operations

6.N.6 Find and position integers (both positive and negative) on the number line.
6.N.7 Compare and order integers (including negative integers)

6.N.9 Select and use appropriate operations to solve problems involving addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, and positive integer exponents with whole numbers

6.N.13 Accurately and efficiently add, subtract, multiply, and divide (with double-digit divisors) whole numbers.

6.N.15 Add and subtract integers, with the exception of subtracting negative integers.

ENGLISH LANGUAGE PROFICIENCY BENCHMARKS AND OUTCOMES FOR ENGLISH LANGUAGE LEARNERS

  • Understands words and phrases of grade-level academic content, including technical and abstract terms. (S.1.25)

  • Creates media production using images, text, sound, and/or graphics. (W.5.13)

  • Writes short accounts of personal or familiar experiences, including academic topics. (W.2.7a)

  • Writes brief research reports with clear focus and supporting detail. (W.2.8f)

  • Participates in classroom discussion and other academic interactions using basic and and complex sentence structures (S.3.65)




Essential Question:

Essential Question:
What are integers and where can we find them in our daily lives?

Monday, June 20, 2011

My New York Trip


One day in 4th grade, my teacher, Miss Ortega, wanted the class to find at least 4 places you find integers over the vacation and bring it back on Monday. I thought it was going to be very hard since I was going to New York and I didn’t really know where to find integers.
So when I got home and asked my parents, “What is na integer?” and they said that it’s negative or positive whole numbers, so I said the assignment was going to be easy. When we we’re getting ready to go to New York my dad was watching the weather forecast and it said that New York weather -10 degrees F tomorrow so I wrote “-10 degrees F” down. I learned one way to find an integer is to watch the news and see what’s going to be the weather and see if the temperature is a negative or a positive number.

Three hours later we were in Conneticut and my brother was playing a game and since I was bored, I decided to watch him playing the game. He had a score of 20 points but then he got shot by one of the bad guys in the game he had a score of – 20 points. “ I wonder how much points he lost?” I said to myself. He had lost 40 points after he had got shot in the game. So I wrote in my notebook that in some games when you’re playing your score is an integer.

When we went to the store for a little break and since we were hungry my mom bought us a dozen donuts and my brother, my sister and I had to share them. I didn’t know how many each of us was suppose to get so I divided 12/ 3 and I got 4, so each person got 4 donuts out of the box.

Once we were in New York and on our way to the hotel, we stopped at a red stoplight and I saw a bunch of kids going into a school. When I look through the window I saw a teacher writing an integer word problem on the board and it said “What is -12 + 18,” and I thought that – 12 +18 would equal 6 because when I was at school back in Boston when we add a negative and a positive we started at the negative and we add up to get positive 6. When I saw it I went into my notebook and said that an integer could be in a word problem like this one.

We got to the hotel and put our suitcases away, got ready and went to downtown. We went into the supermarket to buy a snack and my mom wanted to find out how many oranges were in a bag of oranges. So I had find out how many oranges were in the package lengthwise and how many were lined up widthwise and then I multiplied 4x6 and I got 24. “There are 24 oranges in the pack,” I told my mom.

When we were done shopping at the food store, we went on the train to go to Times Square and we were thirsty so we went to the 99 Cent Store to buy some water. Inside, an old lady was arguing with the manager of the store about how she had to pay 5 dollar more for the purchase of a bunch of stuff that she had buy at the store. The screen said $-5 because she still owed $5 to the store. This argument gave me another integer, so I. So I wrote down that integers could be money, too.

At the end of the trip, my mom and I were sad to leave the Big Apple State. When we where almost home, I started to think about what had happen over the vacation and all the integers I found and when I finally got to my own house I leaned that integers are apart of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment